Register your school running club or start a new one. Our website and app will help you monitor who attends each week and record their performance.
Register a Club
What Do we offer?
Our website and app will help you monitor who attends each week and record their performance. You can also use our specially created resources to implement rewards for kids that attend and try hard, showing their determination. If you need additional resource we can introduce you to local volunteers who will run with your kids every week.
Barlby Primary School
My advice for any other Primary Schools thinking starting a running club would be go of it. Our kids love their running club. They come back fully energised and refreshed.
- Set up a school running club. You will need a member of staff to take ownership of the club.
- Set a weekly lunchtime running slot. We have found that running immediately after the last morning lesson works best. The kids can then have a late lunch.
- Identify a safe running route and perform a risk assessment (we have some ideas you can use for a risk assessment here).
- Register your running club with Primary Run. We will introduce local volunteers to you. Once our app launches we will let you know. It will allow you to take a register each week, measure performance and enable you to reward kids once they have run a certain distance.
- If you use volunteers, make sure they have a valid DBS check and that you interview them as you would selecting a new teaching assistant.
- Promote your running club! The more you promote it the more children will attend. Make sure you tell them about the rewards (starting by offering ice lollies to all runners that attend and show determination usually works well).
- You can download a PDF of our “Set up your Running Club” check list here.
To host a Primary Run in your school you need to:
- If you are working with a volunteer, make sure you’re happy with your volunteer’s DBS statement.
- Ensure that all the children who come to the club have appropriate permission from a parent/guardian to attend.
- Check that your school has appropriate insurance to cover the volunteer and the club.
- Please note: Primary Run does not interview volunteers – it is your job to meet them before the club starts and check you are happy for them to volunteer to run with your club at your school.
How Primary Run support you:
- We provide a platform to help you find a local, trained and DBS-checked volunteer.
- Our website will help you manage the membership of your running club and make sure that all the children have parent/guardian permission to attend.
- We provide a Primary Run app which records who attends each week, with their times, allowing Primary Run kids to earn rewards the more they run.
- We provide lots of ideas on how to set your runners objectives and give them rewards for meeting them.
the things you need to do to get started:
- Create an account on our site.
- Add your school details to your account.
- Search for volunteers in your local area and contact them. Volunteers can contact you through the site too.
- Next you should meet the volunteer, plan how you will run the club and check their DBS.